HOW IT ALL BEGAN:
Pollocksville Presbyterian wanted to do more in the areas of local mission – more outreach in our own community.
What do we do?
How will we pay for it?
Where will we do it?
CHALLENGES ADDRESSED – at least partially
We have some start-up money – gifts designated for the purpose of doing local outreach
We have an available building – the old Jenkins Gas building – but it is so large
During a cursory inspection of the Jenkins building, someone spied a DOT vehicle placard required for display on all propane gas vehicles. It is colored RED and has a flame on it. And it has the numbers “1075”. Someone went to the Bible – to Psalms – which is the only book in the Bible with those kinds of chapter or verse numbers.
Psalms 107:5 – “They were hungry and thirsty, their lives were slipping away.”
Apparently the Holy Spirit was at work – inspiring us with the color and flame of Pentecost and the scripture from Psalms. Thus was born:
THE FILLING STATION 107:5
Okay – we have a catchy name – based on scripture – and we possibly have a building, and we do have the initial funds. But back to the #1 Challenge – What do we do? What kind of outreach ministry/mission to we undertake?
- Feed the Hungry a Meal
- Provide tutoring and mentoring
- Pair people in need with available services
- Computer Lab
- Open a Food Pantry
- Promote better health
- Start a Community Garden
- Marriage/Family/Financial Classes
How to choose among these and countless others?
RESPONSE TO PSALM 107:5:
“Pollocksville Presbyterian Church – with community partners – seeks to feed our brothers and sisters with bread and water, and to provide opportunities for fellowship, knowledge, and spiritual nourishment in a safe hospitable environment so that the love of Christ is demonstrated by our actions?
The Filling Station will be a community based outreach serving Jones County. Pollocksville Presbyterian is the INITIAL FACILITATOR!!! But we can’t do it alone!!! We look to our community partners, non-profit supporting agencies, and those governmental and semi-governmental organizations that can supplement this mission.
What will Pollocksville Presbyterian do in the beginning?
- - Organize and provide a computer/mentoring lab, with DSL and computers to help those who need this kind of help
- - Provide the building and serve as the “landlord” for the space for use by other partners/agencies who are better equipped to provide needed outreach services
Other immediate possibilities:
- - Senior Nutrition site feeding people in our community
- - Partnering with RCS, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, AA, etc. by providing space so that those agencies and others can establish a presence in Jones County to reach out and provide assistance and support.
- - Our own feeding program – a meal or two per week
- - Disaster response relief and support
- - THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!!
What can the community do NOW?”
- - Pray
- - Join with us – bringing ideas on how the community can reach out to our brothers and sisters in need
- - VOLUNTEER – your time is one of the most valuable and needed gifts